[wisb] Re: Slaty-backed Gull still present Jefferson County (long)

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 16:06:27 -0600

And again from 1:37-1:55 when an aircraft flew over and spooked all the
gulls. Thanks to Peter for giving more specific directions. This is exit 267
from I94 and the ponds are on Waldman Lane which is a left turn from Linmar
Ln. The second pond north on the right had the gulls today.
Besides the Slaty-backed Gull, during my 3 hours of observation today I saw
4 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, 2 Glaucous Gulls, 1 first winter Iceland Gull,
1 first winter (Kumlien's Gull- pale brown overall with wingtips same
darkness as body plumage), 1 adult Thayer's Gull, 2 Snow Geese, Numerous
Canada Geese, Herring, and Ring-billed Gulls. Also a sighting of Nolan Pope
and Jim Schwarz!
At least under today's overcast conditions, the Lesser Black-backed Gulls
and the Slaty-backed Gull were inseparable by their shades of gray.
One Lesser Black-backed Gull gave me fits for awhile. It was nearly the same
size as the Herring Gulls, had a sooty patch around the eye, a thin
ascending postocular streak, and a larger than expected tertial crescent. It
may have been missing a primary because the wingtips barely extended beyond
the tail. At first glance,  while in the same field of view, it looked quite
similar to the Slaty-backed Gull.
If you come across this gull, I would suggest rthe following. Look for the
large white (apical) spots on the wingtip of the Slaty-backed Gull. the same
spots are tiny on the Lesser Black-backed. If the bird opens it's wing look
for a large white spot on the outermost primary ( P10 if you use Nat'l
Geographic, P1 if you use Grant). This spot is tiny on Lesser Black-backed
Gull. I found the white subterminal spots excruciatingly difficult to see
since my brain isn't as fast as Cynthia Bridge's camera. I had only a
fractional second look at those, but P10 was quite obvious when the wing was
opened. Additionally, this particular Slaty-backed  had dense brown mottling
on the breast and all the Lesser Black-backed Gulls I saw had distinct, less
dense streaking.
Great find by Cynthia Bridge and Aaron Stutz! Thanks to Edward Keyel and
Cynthia Bridge for their posts and photos.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County