[wisb] Slaty -backed & Lesser BB Gulls

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 12:37:42 -0600

I made a quick stop at the youth field grounds along Evergreen Rd this morning
(Appleton).  The gulls had shifted from near French Rd (previous days) to here.
 Almost immediately I picked up the adult Slaty-backed Gull in the second flock
of gulls.  All id marks could be clearly seen except the ring of pearls.  It
was at first preening but by the time I got the scope on it, it had settled
down and was going to sleep.  Sylvia and Ross soon arrived just before two
eagles soared over flushing all the gulls.  When they started landing Ross and
I relocated the Slaty.  Of course the gulls soon took flight again.  After they
landed the three of us were able to find the adult Lesser Black-backed Gull
that Ross and Sylvia had seen earlier.  It made for a nice contrast to the
adult Slaty, which had not returned before I had to leave.
If interested in checking out this area on the northeast side of Appleton, exit
Hwy 41 at Cty E (Ballard Rd).  Go north to the first traffic light which is
Evergreen Rd.  Turn right and start watching for the gulls after the third
round about.  Evergreen soon crosses French Rd which should be checked to the
north if the gulls are not along Evergreen.  Good luck.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI