[wisb] Six BALD EAGLES/Door County

  • From: "Charles Peterson" <suechick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "door county birding" <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:44:07 -0600

At Weborg Point in Peninsula Park, Door Co. were six BALD EAGLES this afternoon
at 2:30 to 3.  Three were mature, one either Juvie or 2nd year according to
Sibleys Guide, the others seen from more of a distance and were dark.
As I entered the Weborg Marsh area I saw a mature eagle rise from the marsh and
fly over the cemetery area and land next to another eagle in a birch tree. A
third was at the top of a pine to the west. I watched for a few minutes, drove
to the office and told them, then drove back to the W.P. campground and parked.
As I did that, I counted 2 eagles on the pine, and 4 eagles at the end of the
fishing pier there. At first I thought the big black birds on the end of the
pier might be vultures, but doubted that. But I've never seen more than 2
eagles in the park before.
I walked to the pier, and when I appeared at the entrance the four on the pier
flew to the pines. They 'whistled' as they did this.
There was open water at the end of the pier. Maybe they were fishing?
The light was misty and grey, somewhat dark, but eagles fairly close are hard
to miss. What fun!
I'll keep watching the area, and hope to add them to the Saturday Christmas
Bird Count.

Sue Peterson
Ephraim
Door County