[wisb] Re: Sighting in Monroe County

  • From: "whitey" <whitey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <whitey@xxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 21:03:13 -0500

Wow!  Thanks for all the input - most suggested it was a Northern Harrier so
I checked out the internet (Cornell) but the wing configuration is wrong -
this bird had very thin wings (front to back) plus there was no gliding but
constant manuvering.  I also looked at the Swallowtail Kite (which I thought
it was at first) but only the tips of the wings were black.  If I could run
faster I could have gotten my binoculars in time to make a more accurate
description - drat old age!!!!!  FYI - I was about 100 yards away at times.

Still looking for someone else that may have sighted it in the area.

Thanks,

Mike.