[wisb] Sheboygan, northwoods and Buena Vista

  • From: Jerry <jerry937975@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:10:39 -0500 (EST)

I just completed a 3 day loop that started at Sheboygan, then to the northwoods
and back south through Buena Vista. Some of the highlights include:

Barrow's goldeneye was seen at Sheboygan. I first observed it from the parking
lot by the motel, but it was way to the north beneath the north jetty with a
bunch of common goldeneyes. As I waited, it began working its way south towards
me. I did not see the snowy owl, but did see several great black-backed gulls
and at least 3 different glaucous gulls. From there I worked my way north
hoping to find some snowy owls inland, but despite working very hard, I did not
see a snowy owl between Sheboygan and Oconto Marsh.

Below the dam at De Pere were cormorant and white pelicans.

On Wed. I woke up at our cabin (ok, it's a shed but it was warm) and before I
was out of the driveway, 8 pine grosbeaks were seen on the road. New yard bird!
(For our place up north anyway).

In Newald, which is just off Hwy. 139 I had a small flock of 11 Bohemian
Waxwings feeding on a crabapple just north of the fire station.

On Morgan Lake Rd. about 1 1/4 miles east of Hwy. 139 I found a flock of
chickadees which included a single Boreal.

Heading back north on Hwy. 139 there were a couple small flocks of pine
grosbeaks seen between Morgan Lake Rd. and Long Lake, but the big numbers
started to show up on Halsey Lake Rd. between Long Lake and the Halsey Lake
boat launch.

In Alvin I finally located a flock of evening grosbeaks at the tops of the
trees on the north side of town. I did not see anything but chickadees at the
feeders in town. Brule River Campground was dead.

Heading back south, I ran into some sizable flocks of pine grosbeaks on
Haystack Corners Rd. (Pine River Rd. turns into Haystack Corners Rd. east of
Divide Rd.). Where ever I encountered half a dozen pine grosbeaks, a little
pishing brought in two dozen more.

Pine River Bridge was dead as was everywhere else. Seems like the whole forest
went dead after 1:30 pm. About the only nice find I had after that was a large
flock of crossbills (for sure white-winged, but might have been some reds mixed
in) at the outlet for Long Lake. The creek is open and flows into a very nice
tamarack bog area.

Woke up this morning and the forest areas were dead. I did pish up a northern
shrike at Pine River Bridge. Nothing else in the forest. I headed down to Buena
Vista.

I did a figure 8 through the area several times. I had no less than 8
rough-legged hawks, a couple of red-tails, a northern shrike, 2 bald eagles and
a flock of 14 prairie chickens on Griffeth Avenue. Also had a snowy owl on the
north side of Cnty. Hwy. W just east of Townline Rd. I agree with Daryl that
the roads are not the best. Not only are they narrow, but they are quite icy,
so the slightest error in judgement can easily ruin your day.

Jerry DeBoer
Central Racine County

www.photographyfromtheheartland.com