[wisb] Seasonal Sightings In Door Co….& Wood-Warbler Summary Notes From My 9-3 - 9-10-13 WI Birding

  • From: Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn digest users <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 22:13:26 -0700

Please note I'm re-sending this message from 9/10/13…..

Door County Seasonal Sightings/Local Occurrence

9/10/13

- 1 BROAD-WINGED HAWK (seen with binoculars after I stopped on 57

just south of Carlsville)

- 1 hatch year/first year female YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER (Myrtle subspecies)

(that I mention here only because it is likely one of the earliest
migrants/transients of this common species in the large stampede to follow en
masse) (seen at entrance way to Bjorklunden near Bailey’s Harbor)

- 1 BLACKPOLL (seen in same spot as above)

- 4 AMERICAN REDSTART (all males) heard/seen at Bay Shore County Park in s.
Door Co.

- 1 CASPIAN TERN seen at Bay Shore County Park in s. Door Co.

*

As summary notes for the 9-3 – 9-10-13 dates I birded in Milwaukee, Ozaukee,
and Door Co., I detected 19 species of wood-warblers, with the most
“interesting” being a WILSON’s sighting on 9-8 in Door Co. because they do not
nest in that county, a single GOLDEN-WINGED at Schlitz Audubon in Bayside on
9-4 because this Watch List species does not nest in Milwaukee Co., nor do the
five MAGNOLIA I saw at the same spot on 9-3, 9-4, and 9-5.

In addition, the frequently-seen TENNESSEE WARBLER that I viewed from 9-3 –

9-10 is absent as a breeder in all of the three previously mentioned counties
where I saw it, so individuals of this species, likewise, were obviously
transients in migration....as was the lone PALM I saw on 9-4 at the Forest
Beach Migratory Preserve near Thiensville/Grafton. This species does not nest
in Milwaukee Co., with its closest confirmed breeding area being n. WI.

Good birding

Daniel Edelstein

www.warblerwatch.com

http://warblerwatch.blogspot.com
(my six-year-old warbler-centric blog site: photo quizzes, brief articles, etc.)

415-382-1827 (Office & FAX #)
415-246-5404 (Cell)

12 Kingfisher Court
Novato, CA 94949