[wisb] Re: Sandhill crane subspecies question

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdsandfish49@xxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:34:11 -0500

Paul, the Sandhill Crane subspecies "tabida" (= "Greater"), which occurs in
Wisconsin (as well as MN, MI, and southern Ontario) is the largest of the
subspecies.  There is, however, a substantial sexual dimorphism, with males
being noticeably larger and taller than females -- when seen side by side.
More than likely you saw a male flying with two females.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.