[wisb] Rock Lake, Jefferson Co.: loaded with Pied-billed Grebes

  • From: Karen Etter Hale <chimneyswift1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 21:57:30 -0500

When I noted there were well over 50 grebes off the east shore of Rock
Lake today, I immediately returned with the scope to get a better count:
168 Pied-billed Grebes. This is probably the most I've ever counted on
the lake. There were also 10 Horned Grebes. In addition, I counted 7
Common Loons, 35 Ruddy Ducks, more than 2,000 coots (a large raft off
Fremont St., another off the north end of Rock Lake), 5 Common
Goldeneyes, and roughly 400 scaup.

--
Karen Etter Hale
Lake Mills