[wisb] Robins in the flurries

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:05:46 -0800 (PST)

    Greetings folks ---
       Got in from an appointment just a moment ago, and while out,  I stopped
at our Red Arrow Park by the west central part of town.  I was somewhat stunned
to observe about 30 robins feeding in the oak leaves and some were actually
singing !!   Don't worry,  I looked them over carefully.  No varied thrushes,
or rufous-backs or Aztec thrushes.  (HA, on that last one).  One Robin did look
quite interesting, quite dark, prominent eye-ring, deep rusty breast.

   As far as diving ducks go, hardly anything to speak of, except for a small
flock of scaup  this a.m. flying past the Murdock site. A pair of cormorants
were present at the south end of Miller's Bay. Gulls are getting quite numerous
again, watching them closely.  Was nice to see a shoveler yesterday at Campbell
Creek, among mallards, some blacks and over 100 geese.  No cacklers were found.
    So much for now, reporting from Oshkosh,
    Paul Bruce, Winnebago Co.