[wisb] Reports from Oshkosh, Brillion, good stuff!

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish50@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 23:09:52 -0700 (PDT)

Long time no write folks.  I can actually say I'm able to report some decent
sightings from the 2 aforementioned places.  First of all since school has
started up again, I'm able to get to my favorite visiting sites, and it
certainly was a pleasure going to Menominee park's beach to find just 1 single
shorebird, my FOY, yes, Year, sanderling.  I was quite happy with that.
Numerous warblers flying thru and over aren't easy to ID just by flight and
call notes alone but the only ones Ive been able TO get were Tennessee, at Tom
Ziebell's house, (which I will cover later) and the pair of Palm Warblers I had
at our farm house.  Also unusual was a visit to my folks place, west of town,
yielding a HUGE swarm of swallows working their way east and southward away
from the lake. All but Cliffs were heard or IDed, also seen among the throng
were a single chimney swift and 1 nighthawk. A couple stops to the Conservatory
behind Osh. North High 2 mornings ago
 had a pair of Gr Blue Herons and 2 phoebes, bizarrely no warblers or other
special migrators.
  And I am VERY pleased to announce my plans on heading out on the Fall Bird
Count this coming Saturday, and teaming up with Mark Benson, who I will
publicly thank heavily before we head out. I couldn't be more hyped up, since I
haven't done any heavy birding since May 12th, this is no joke.  I am THAT far
behind in my numbers. SO, in planning ahead for the count, I had to inform Tom
Ziebell, our count coordinator, that I'd be going.  Looks like we should have
outstanding conditions for Saturday, 60's, fair skies, at least so far.
  Best of luck to all of you, whether on a count or not, for some rare fall
sightings,
Paul Bruce, Winnebago Co.