[wisb] Racine & Kenosha Counties - 9/17

  • From: Max Witynski <birdmax922@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 22:40:42 -0500

Dave Willard and I did a casual "big day" today in Kenosha and Racine
counties; starting at Southport Beach/Kenosha Dunes, heading up the
lakefront to Wind Point via Alford Park, west to the Wind Lake Sod Farms,
and south to Richard Bong SRA in the afternoon.  We had a really fun day
with some great birds, an added bonus was running into Eric Howe at the
Kenosha Dunes!  Our final tally was 72 species.
At Southport/Dunes we had impressive warbler numbers of eleven species, as
well as some marsh birds (thanks to Eric) and a gorgeous perched Merlin.

Southport Park, Kenosha, US-WI
Sep 17, 2011 7:50 AM - 9:20 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.2 mile(s)
36 species
Wood Duck  6
Mallard  9
Double-crested Cormorant  61
Green Heron  1
Merlin  1
Sora  1
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Wilson's Snipe  1
Ring-billed Gull  120
Herring Gull  10
Chimney Swift  20
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Blue Jay  5
Barn Swallow  3
Black-capped Chickadee  1
House Wren  1
Marsh Wren  1
American Robin  16
Gray Catbird  3
European Starling  5
Cedar Waxwing  9
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Tennessee Warbler  1
Nashville Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  1
American Redstart  1
Cape May Warbler  4
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1
Blackpoll Warbler  2
Palm Warbler  8
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
Wilson's Warbler  1
Lincoln's Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  2
American Goldfinch  3

Alford Park was another incredibly productive stop, containing Sanderlings,
Ruddy Turnstones, some new passerines for the day and my lifer CONNECTICUT
WARBLER (!) which gave us a less than two-second glimpse after being the
only bird to respond to pishing in a certain thicket near the beach.

Alford Park (Kenosha Co), Kenosha, US-WI
Sep 17, 2011 9:30 AM - 10:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.25 mile(s)
26 species
Canada Goose  75
Mallard  5
Double-crested Cormorant  2
Turkey Vulture  1
Ruddy Turnstone  2
Sanderling  2
Ring-billed Gull  30
Herring Gull  7
Mourning Dove  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Swainson's Thrush  2
American Robin  4
Gray Catbird  1
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Connecticut Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  2
Blackpoll Warbler  2
Black-throated Green Warbler  1
Song Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  2
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  4

At Wind Point we added Cooper's Hawk and Spotted Sandpiper, but the real
treat was the Wind Lake Sod Farms, which held twenty or more Am. Golden
Plovers as well as two late Buff-breasted Sandpipers, a Horned Lark and a
small flock of Brewer's Blackbirds!

Bong, with its varied habitat, was enough to push us past seventy species;
highlights being a Common Gallinule, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Magnolia
Warber (our 13th warbler species of the day) and a Belted Kingfisher at 5:15
to round out the day.

Good Birding!
- Max Witynski
Kenosha, Kenosha for now