[wisb] Racine County Ross's Goose

  • From: jerry937975@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:35:36 -0500

The geese numbers started building yesterday finally in the flooded fields
directly across from my home, but the weather was so gray all I saw were dark
blobs.  With the clearer weather today I was able to get much better looks, and
to my surprise there was a Ross's Goose among the Canada Geese this morning.

This area is 2 miles west of I-94 on 2 Mile Road.  Unfortunately at this moment
the goose is in the far back pond (which means it requires the elevation of my
house to get a good look), but often as the day goes on they move closer to the
road. It is possible that one can get looks into this pond by standing on my
mound.

This pond has produced many rarities over the years including Eurasion Wigeon,
Ruff, White-faced Ibis, Hudsonian Godwit, Willet, White-fronted Geese, Lesser
Black-backed Gull and others. Yes its nice to be able to sit in the comfort of
my home and check it out and get great yard birds in the process!

Jerry DeBoer
Central Racine County