[wisb] Re: RFI - Killdeer chicks (thanks)

  • From: "Cathy Gagliardi" <patcatgags@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WIBird" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "MNBird \(new\)" <mnbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 19:20:01 -0500

Wow, these listserves are great when you need help...
thanks so much for all the responses.
I have learned something new today and thought I would share....
 "Killdeer chicks like ducklings, goslings, grouse chicks, etc. are precotial,
that is, they can feed/fend for themselves right after hatching.  I imagine
they are just moving on to better feeding grounds and the adults will stay
close by.  It's just a matter of time before they are all on the ground with
mom and dad, who will keep an eye on them to protect and keep them warm by
brooding if necessary (in cold wet weather)."

  If the 3 chicks are on the ground tomorrow, (no more roof for them) but I
will try and get them to a more grassy area close by.
 Thanks again everyone,
       Cathy