[wisb] Re: Purple Sandpiper located at Wind Point today

  • From: "Dar Tiede" <crepuscular@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 18:43:08 -0600

A belated note that the purple sandpiper was also observed at Wind Point
last Saturday.  After the WSO trip was leaving the North Point area on
Saturday's field trip, I decided to head south to the Wind Point lighthouse
in search of a (would-be lifer) purple sandpiper.  I arrived and searched
the lighthouse area, then walked south along the shore with no success.
Then back to the lighthouse and looking to the north I saw three people and
a scope pointed northwards.  Feeling better about that sign, I hiked north
along the shore to that area.  "Have you seen the purple sandpiper this
morning?"...first words out of my mouth.  The reply was music to a birder's
ears..."It's in my scope right now!".  Sure enough - John Dixon had the bird
staked out.  Great views and some good exchange of sightings and stories.
Thank you, John!

Dar Tiede
Appleton