[wisb] Purple Gallinule photo (improved) and a few tips

  • From: Sean Fitzgerald <sfitzgerald86@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 22:52:58 -0500

As Mark mentioned, three of us were lucky enough to finally see this reclusive
bird appear from the tall grasses in the center of the pond tonight just as the
light was getting poor again.  Here is a an improved photo of the bird from
tonight:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfitzgerald86/3609859386/
This bird is quite skittish and I have a feeling that both the activity on
County highway DD as well as the close proximity of many birders vehicles
(parking farther back on the SE side of the road I think is the best spot
overall) and the associated activity played a role in this birds lack of
cooperation for most who tried for it today.  I think that early morning and
late evening are the best bet (as Mark said).  Not everyone has the time or the
determination of Tom Prestby to wait out a bird for ten hours!  Let me tell
you, it's not the best spot to do a June "big sit".  As Tom found out today!
Good luck to those who try for the bird.

Sean Fitzgerald
Honey Creek - Walworth Cty
sfitzgerald86@xxxxxxxxx