[wisb] Prairie Chickens - Stevens Pt. Area

  • From: John Van Den Brandt <jvandenbrandt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:39:22 +0000

My wife and I visited the Carl Flaig farm just outside of Stevens Point on
Sunday morning to view Prairie Chickens. If you've never been to this location,
I highly recommend it. The blinds are first rate and ideally situated for both
viewing and photography.  Carl is very friendly and he operates his farm in a
manner that is supportive of grassland birds. It's always fun to hear the
rising volume of prairie chickens booming in the total darkness. Then, as the
light slowly comes up, you first detect shadowy motion, then vague shapes, then
the outline of prairie chickens. When the sun finally crested the horizon, we
were surrounded by 25 prairie chickens (including one briefly on the roof of
the blind). Great viewing and high quality photo ops. The viewing season
continues for several weeks. Here is the website is you're interested in going.
http://prairiechickenviewing.webs.com/
 John Van Den Brandt [cid:491051516@13042010-1B06]
www.wildwindimages.com<http://www.wildwindimages.com/>

                           Appleton, Outagamie County