[wisb] Potosi Point this AM

  • From: Alexander R Stark <starkal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:22:53 -0500 (CDT)

Hello all,
I got up bright and early on this gorgeous day hoping to catch some migrants.
Species were limited at the point but I did score a few FOY species.
The shorebird species present were a Greater Yellowlegs and 3 Solitary
Sandpipers. Also a Green Heron was in the first slough south of the gravel road
along with 4 Trumpeter Swans. As far as sparrows go there were Swamp Sparrows
everywhere!!! They definetly outnumbered the Song Sparrows. Other than that
there were no warblers and the usual residents.
I then drove south to the mouth of the Platte River just to check things out.
On the drive there I had Eastern Towhee, Savannah Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow,
Field Sparrow, Eastern Meadowlark, Cliff Swallow, Tufted Titmouse, 5 Woodpecker
species and the usual woodland species. When I arrived at the Platte River I
was very surprised because there is alot of shorebird habitat! The whole river
for about a mile was covered in mud flats but all I could find were a few
Killdeer. This spot, along with the Mississippi, will probably hold some decent
habitat within the next week or two because the river has been steadily
dropping. I'll keep an eye open for more shorebirds!

Good Birding,
Alex Stark, Platteville