[wisb] Possible Cerulean X Northern Parula warbler recordings, Walworth County

  • From: Todd Wilson <maxpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisb <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 18:06:54 -0500

I was intrigued by Tom Wood's report of a Cerulean Warbler singing the
song of a Northern Parula from Kettle Moraine South two days ago, so I
contacted him and got some better directions and headed down there this
morning.

I was able to locate the Cerulean Warbler, and observed him singing a
Northern Parula type song and obtained a recording of 3 renditions of
this song. I did not have a close enough look to see the eye crescents
that Tom reported seeing, but in all other respects it appeared to be a
normal Cerulean Warbler.

On another part of the trail I located a male Northern Parula singing
and obtained a recording of this bird as well.

I've put up a quick page with mp3s and sonograms of these recordings for
comparison:

http://www.wisconsinbirdsounds.com/parula_cerulean_song_comparison_20120429.html

The Cerulean version is pretty close to a typical Northern Parula song.
In some respects it is a little off. The terminal note lacks the
ascending flourish, which is characteristic of the western dialect of
Northern Parula song. To my ear the tone of the Cerulean's song is
slightly different, the notes less precise, and hesitating a bit at the
beginning of the second rendition.

Todd Wilson
Milwaukee County