[wisb] Pie-billed Grebes, Humboldt Park, MKE

  • From: Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birders <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 09:58:09 -0500

Good morning, all!
Unfortunately, I did not relocate the Swamp Sparrow today, but I did
observe two-to-three Pie-billed Grebes in the large pond at Humboldt Park,
again on the southwest corner of the large pond. They were difficult to
keep track of due to their constant diving. I only managed a photo of one
of them, but I definitely saw two together and at one point I swear I saw
three--their small size easily contrasts with that of the mallards. In any
case, the ponds here are worth scanning sporadically as they seem to be
stopovers. Last Saturday, for example, I observed two female Hooded
Mergansers in the small pond, giving great looks.

The RWBBs were very vocal and active. I photographed a male singing from
atop of a loud speaker! The mallards were flying around constantly, too,
and I could hear Red-bellied Woodpeckers. Such an exciting spring!

In case anyone was wondering, Humboldt Park is located on Oklahoma and
Howell.

--
Jennifer Ambrose
Bayview, Milwaukee County