[wisb] Picnic Point (UW-Madison campus) this morning

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:33:54 -0500

Roma Lenehan and I led a bird walk at the Lakeshore Nature Preserve (aka Picnic
Point) this morning. While it was generally slow, the two dozen or so attendees
did see a few "confusing fall warblers" and some other tough ID challenges. We
had a bit of activity right inside the entrance gate, with an empid that a few
of us thought was probably a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. I had a brief glimpse
of a CFW (confusing fall warbler) in the same area - I was leaning Cape May due
to the streaking. A Bay-breasted just down the trail fortunately still had a
lot of color underneath, and also gave us an extended look. We heard a couple
of Swainson's Thrushes, and someone saw one later on.

Things were pretty quiet until we got out to the Biocore Prairie, where we had
lots of Chipping and Song Sparrows, E. Bluebirds, etc. Possibly the most
interesting sighting was a hummingbird chasing a Barn Swallow (back in the
woods, we had seen another RT Hummer actively gnatcatching.) An eye-level view
of a Red-eyed Vireo four or five feet away in a dogwood was also nice. On the
south side of the prairie, we saw a Broad-winged Hawk over the woods - Roma
said they'd nested there this year. Not far away, a Red-tail was perched in a
tree and gave great looks. The mulch and brush piles in that area near the
gardens were hopping with small birds, so that's a good spot to check. We had
several Indigo Buntings, a few warblers, another unknown empid, and tons of
common birds in that area.

Peter Fissel

Madison, Dane Co.