[wisb] Picnic Point - UW Madison this a.m.

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:49:17 -0500

, Version=5.5.4.371499, Antispam-Engine: 2.7.1.369594,
 Antispam-Data: 2009.5.13.163724, SenderIP=128.104.60.212

Only five hardy souls showed up for Roma Lenehan's Frautschi/Picnic
Point Warbler Walk this morning.  While not raining steadily, the
drizzle was a nuisance.  Despite the southeast winds, we didn't see much
at first, but eventually hit a few pockets of warblers and vireos.  We
ended up with only 16 warbler species - a bit disappointing.  Did have
some nice looks at Bay-breasted, Magnolia & No. Parula, and a great look
at a singing Orange-crowned (if you call that singing...)  Very near the
latter bird was a Blue-headed Vireo - also had a couple of singing
Yellow-throated Vireos, plus Red-eyed and Warbling.  Best bird by far
was a Black-billed Cuckoo that we saw in a sumac stand as we made our
way back to the parking lot.

Dan Doeppers and I will be leading another walk at Picnic Point at 7:30
Sunday morning (5/17.)  We'll meet at the 1918 Marsh circular parking
lot.  Note that University Bay Dr. is closed west of there, so you may
need to come up Walnut St.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.