[wisb] Picnic Point Sunday

  • From: Elizabeth Zimmerman <ehzimmer@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:35:00 -0600

Hi all,

Sorry I was too rushed to post Sunday afternoon's results at Picnic
Point on Sunday evening.  Now on the way to Florida.  I just thought a
more complete list might be helpful to anyone thinking about going.

The Barrow's Goldeneye was of course there, swimming with a few dozen
Common Goldeneyes near the shore in the sunshine (yum!), but we had to
walk almost to the tip of the point to see them.  At least 40-50 Tundra
Swans were in the area, some calling occasionally.  At least 50 Common
Mergansers, a few Canvasbacks, a few Redheads, one female (or immature)
Ruddy Duck, and the usual suspects (AKA Mallards, Canada Geese, coots)
were present.

On shore, a crabapple near the big parking lot held a Robin and 9 Cedar
Waxwings.

Wish we had known about the Screech Owl.

Good birding,
Libby Zimmerman