[wisb] PORTAGE COUNTY BLACK VULTURE

  • From: Rob Pendergast <acadiantigerheron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 14:41:23 -0500

As Chris mentioned I had a BLACK VULTURE flying above me on Cty B just west
of where it intersects with Cty J. As the bird approached me I noticed that
it seemed a bit unusual. I pulled over and got out of my car as it was
flying right above me (apx. 25 feet up). The fight pattern was several
deep, quick beats followed by a short glide. I noticed the overall
coloration of the bird was jet black with several exceptions: dark gray
head with whitish bill, gray legs with lighter colored feet, and the outer
primaries were a silverish color forming a patch on the wingtips. The head
was bigger than what would be expected on a Turkey Vulture and the bill was
more narrow. The wings were very broad but, the wingspan seemed to be a bit
smaller than a TUVU's, the tail was also shorter and squared off as opposed
to a long tail that would be rounded off on a Turkey Vulture. I watched the
bird for about 10 minutes as it started to soar on thermals shortly after I
pulled over to view it. I got terrific looks at the bird through my scope
but, I had neglected to bring along my camera today. I will begin
documenting the bird for the WSO shortly, with a less brief description of
course. Keep your eyes open if you're on the eastern part of the state!
Good Birding,

Rob Pendergast, Plover, Portage County