[wisb] Oshkosh CBC results via Benson & Bruce

  • From: "Paul Bruce" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "birdsandfish50@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Wisbirdn Birdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tom Ziebell <cziebell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 05:42:11 +0000 (UTC)

Hello all.  Another CBC has come and gone and time for the results.
Weatherwise, the fog had a major role in how birding was affected which made
for a poor count, species-wise. But despite the 24 species obtained Mark and I
were graced with some decent sightings. Without further ado, here are the
vitals: Temps were around 40, snow patches, light winds. Times: 6 hours for the
day, all in car,perhaps 1/2 hr on foot. Miles traveled 27 in the am, 20 in the
afternoon, 47 all day. Individual total, 608. Birds seen --  Redtail hawks 2,
Am Kestrel 1, Herring Gull 2, Rock Dove 22, Mourning Dove 15, Red-bellied Wdp.
7, Downy 11, Hairy 7, Horned Lark 6, Blue Jay 12, Am. Crow 23Blackcap Chickadee
54 ! (higher than usual), TUFTED TITMOUSE 1, White-breasted Nuthatch 20, Eur.
Starling 147,  No. Cardinal 31, Am. Tree Sparrow 37, WHITE-THR. SPARROW 1,
Dark-eyed Junco 103,  Lapl. Longspur 1, Red-winged Blackbird 4,  Am Goldfinch
22,  House Finch 9, House Sparrow 70.  Needless to say conditions were less
than favorable, when the fog lifted, THEN we could see hawks better, (unless
they were in your face). The titmouse was seen roadside just SW of Fisk, being
fairly cooperative for Mark to take pics. The RW's were at a feeder IN Fisk.
another highlight was getting 8 cardinals all at once. The herring gulls flew
over the titmouse site. The WT sparrow was at my folks house. Birds during the
count period inc. a flicker at Wittman airport's woods, Short-eared Owl calling
late Tuesday night along Cty M barely making the deadline. Big question as my
final word, is ANYONE seeing ANY redbreasted nuthatches anywhere? They could
not be found in my usual places where I see them. Maybe they're becoming an
irruptive species. Comments? Otherwise, my write-up is now respectfully
submitted, Paul Bruce and the transportation provided by Mark Benson, again,
thank you, buddy.