[wisb] Off topic-Equipment for playing birdsongs

  • From: Hilary Ford <khilaryf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:33:00 -0800 (PST)

Could anyone advise how to play CD's (Thayers packet of 3) in the field to both
help with Identifying birdsongs, and also how to broadcast them to attract the
birds such as owls for the CBC.  I do not possess an I-pod which I believe is
the latest gadget for this - but I do have the Thayers and also a small CD
player with earphones but no loudspeaker.  I have opened the car windows when
looking for Owls at night and played the CD and had luck that way, but I would
really like to have something handy to take into the field as well.
My husband tried to persuade me to buy the Cornell large book with an attached
birdsong player but I dampened his enthusiasm because of its large size for the
field and it only has 250 songs!
Any thoughts would be appreciated back channel or on the list - please note
that advancing age brings other encumbrances like needing reading glasses!!
Thankful that I have good hearing still!

Hilary Ford, Ellison Bay, Door County