[wisb] Odd bird - Lily Lake - Brown County

  • From: <jmotquin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 21:12:51 +0000

I just returned from Lily Lake County Park with an observation I can’t even
begin to solve.  I saw a ‘water bird’ about the 75% the size of a bufflehead
riding low in the water like a loon.  Across the lake the only field marks I
could make out were an all black head, a black back and a black side
approximately where the wing joined the body.  When the bird flew, the black
extended only 25% down the flank evenly across the body.  The upper side and
lower side of the wing were entirely black.  The bird had a football shaped
body with the wings positions 3/4 to 7/8 of the way towards the tail.  Flight
was very belabored about 1 ½ feet off the water’s surface.  I looked at the
grebe profiles, but nothing really fits.  I had no binoculars with me.  The
body shape and wing position are suggestive of the alcids I observed in
Washington?  Any suggestions?

Two female buffleheads were harassing the unknown bird and chased it to the
south end of the lake.  Can anyone from Brown County check the site out
tonight?  I have to work.

Jon Motquin
Freedom, WI

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.