[wisb] OFF TOPIC: Trilliums and Other Wildflowers

  • From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 07:59:00 -0500

Just the other day, upon the occasion of our 31st wedding anniversary, I remarked to my wife that as much as I annually anticipate May for its birds and wildflowers, I can never really sense ahead of time how truly wonderful this month is until it actually arrives and I experience it again firsthand.

This May I'm making a more concerted effort to identify and appreciate wildflowers, aided by my copy of "Wildflowers of Wisconsin and the Great Lakes Region: A Comprehensive Field Guide" by Merel Black and Emmet Judziewicz. This is the second edtion of what was called "Wildflowers of Wisconsin and the Upper Midwest." This second edition is worth it for its section "Wisconsin's Natural Communities: A Brief Introduction" (pp. xii-xxxiii), which contains both photos and maps for each natural community - recalling a similar section on habitat types in "Atlas of the Breeding Birds of Wisconsin" (pp. 26-72).

Using the above section in "Wildflowers" points the way to finding various habitat types, and the species (common and rare) within each habitat. As with birds, location and habitat are important in finding target species.

(For the record, this year I'm trying to get a better handle on locating and IDing violets.)

Those traveling to Door County might also like to check out "Wildflowers of Door County" by Paul & Marilyn Mahlberg, as well as "Door County's Wildflowers: A Field Guide for the Curious" by Frances Burton and Aurelia Stampp.

A happy May to all!

Wayne Rohde
Walworth, WI

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.