[wisb] Northwoods Report

  • From: Jerry <jerry937975@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 18:10:21 -0500 (EST)

My son, wife and I spent Friday and Saturday birding the northwoods and did
some birding on the way home. The highlights that come to mind include:

Best bird of the trip I guess would be the beautiful black-backed woodpecker my
son pished in with his magical pishing techniques. For whatever reason, his
pishing brings in 5 times the birds my pishing does. So he gets to do all the
pishing when we bird together! We had the bird 200 yards west of the little
parking spot by Shelp Lake. We also had a number of g.c. kinglets there.

Pileated woodpeckers were beginning to call and drum and ruffed grouse are up
in the trees eating buds. Yet despite spending 2 hours owling, we were unable
to get one owl (barred or saw-whet) to respond. Go figure.

At the bog on Giant Pine Road, we had 4 gray jays and a boreal chickadee.

At the Pine River bridge we had redpolls and white-winged crossbills.

In the town of Newald (Forest County) we picked up our only pine grosbeaks of
the trip, 3 birds, seen at the tops of some pines right in town. It seems they
don't come down to the roads much when they are snow covered. West of town, and
just west of a small creek that flows beneath Double Bend Road, there is an
apple tree in the front yard of a home. That was where we found the Bohemian
waxwings this week, 14 of them.

On Morgan Lake Rd. in Florence County we picked up our FOY red crossbills.

We buzzed down to Green Bay and in fading light saw 6 white pelicans and 49
cormorants below the De Pere dam.

We spent the night in Neenah and was in awe of the many gulls we found this
morning in the Neenah area. My best guess is we had over 20 glaucous gulls
amongst the many herring gulls.
Along with the high numbers of gulls we had a nice selection of waterfowl. FOY
birds for me included canvasback and ruddy duck.

Two Rivers and Manitowoc were pretty quiet, but Sheboygan had a nice group of
gulls on North Point. But we muffed on the Barrow's goldeneye.

We muffed on the evening grosbeaks in Alvin, and even though we helped get the
local U.S. Postal Worker out of the ditch, we were not rewarded with hearing or
seeing the grosbeaks.

Jerry DeBoer
Central Racine County