[wisb] Nine Springs onight

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 21:10:55 -0500

I went over to 9 Springs for a bit after work.  Not as many shorebirds as I had
hoped - the Willet was still on the second pond (middle of the big mudflat,)
and the Wilson's Phalarope on the third pond mudbar.  There were a couple of
Dunlin, a small flock of Baird's and a couple of peeps that were extremely
flitty on the first pond.  Lots of Spotties (which nest there.)

A gentleman from Europe was there and asked me to look at the Caspian Terns on
the third pond.  He thought one was smaller and the cap not as dark as the
other two.  Unfortunately, they were all sleeping with their heads tucked
under, but in the scope, I could see that the middle one was noticeably smaller
and slimmer.  We concluded that it was most likely a subadult Caspian, but
still very intriguing.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.