[wisb] Nine Springs, Madison, Dane, April 25

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:21:06 -0500

Hey all-
I went out in the drizzle this morning to check for shorebirds at Nine
Springs. Birds were fairly light in the poor conditions, but I had a number
of nice highlights. I also checked for Ammodramus sparrows in the back
portion, but couldn't find anything. The areas within Nine Springs proper
seem good for Le Conte's, not so good for Nelson's. I expect that the giant
cattail marsh just north would have Nelson's. It's just inaccessible.

Shorebirds:
Killdeer
G & L Yellowlegs
Dunlin
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Snipe
(same as reported yesterday)

Other highlights:
Greater White-fronted Goose - 1 on the 3rd pond over. Wonder if this bird is
injured - if so, it might be here a while.
Great Egret - 2
Virginia Rail - 3 (saw one, heard others calling)
all five swallows, no Martin, no swift
Palm Warbler
and YELLOW WARBLER (which eBird thinks is early, I believe). This guy was
singing from the willows along the north edge, and it took me a while to
place the song. I got a good look, too. Hooray, warblers!

Jesse Ellis
--
Jesse Ellis
Madison, Dane Co, WI