[wisb] Nighthawks - Milwaukee County

  • From: Rita Marie Wiskowski <dona_rita@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn Birdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 14:59:11 +0000 (UTC)

To add more to the nighthawk conversation  - on Monday, Jen Ambrose and I
observed about a hundred on the southwest part of Milwaukee County (Franklin
area).
Last night a few birders went to South Metro Pier in Oak Creek (a bit north of
Bender Park, near the water treatment plant on 5th Avenue) and watched a few
hundred. When we arrived at 6:30, they were mostly flying over the lake/beach
area. They were flying around like swallows feeding. By about 7, they were
flying low over the parking lot where we were standing. This is a great place
to observe them. Besides those feeding, hundreds more were seen higher in the
sky flying south.
We gave a very very conservative estimate of 500 within an hour.
Rita Flores WiskowskiSouth Milwaukee
P.S. I'll try to figure out why my email deletes spaces when I send to the
listserv, but in the meantime if it happens again, I apologize.