[wisb] Nicolet Forest

  • From: Nancy Johnson <plantsrfun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 21:16:17 -0500

Weekend trip report of the north woods. On Saturday morning we headed over to
the Pine River Rd., Giant Pine, and all the other forest roads surrounding that
area. We got there about 7:00 A.M. and it was rainy and about 35 degrees. When
we first turned onto Pine River Rd. we had a female Spruce Grouse flush right
across the road from the ditch. 1 down off the list. Pretty quiet after that
with many YR Warblers, WT Sparrows, and our first Fox Sparrow this fall. When
we got to the Pine River Rd. Bridge, we got a Boreal Chickadee along with about
a dozen Black-capped Chickadees. The rest of the day had a pair of Ruffed
Grouse and many cormorants, ducks, and gulls. On Sunday we started later, but
about 20 min. out of Florence on STH 141/2 we had a N. Goshawk (!!) fly in
front of the car. Also we had another Ruffed Grouse on Pine River Rd. Later we
had a Black-backed Woodpecker before Divide Rd. (east) then on Pine River Rd.
on the first stretch of trees past Divide Rd (west). Then the last new bird of
the day was a Gray Jay (finally!) 2 miles East of the 32 intersection. That is
about it for the weekend; ended up with 5 new ones this year and 1 lifer!(N.
goshawk) Overall an awesome weekend!

Michael Gray
New London, Wi
Sent from my iPad####################