[wisb] New to WISBIRDN & possible Northern Mockingbird in Dane County

  • From: "Paul & Nancy" <jakahl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:28:09 -0500

I want to introduce myself to the Wis Bird group.

My wife have been birding seriously for about 7 years. We spend a lot of
time at Nine Springs, Lake Farm County Park, Horicon Marsh, Goose
Pond/Schoenberg Marsh and along the Yahara river between Mc Farland and
Stoughton. We also do weekly (if not daily) lists from our home in Monona.
We don't live on the lake, but do get a lot of interesting birds anyway. We
put all of our lists onto E-Bird.

I've enjoyed reading the posts from this group everyday for the past year.
Thanks to those who post here and who inspire us to get out and around the
state.

Now, to the possible Northern Mockingbird at Lake Farm County Park

I did an early morning (5:30-6:30 AM) walk at Lake Farm today to hear and
see morning birds. I believe I heard a Northern Mockingbird there. It was in
the area between picnic shelters #2 and #3.

I'm not very experienced with No Mocks, but here's what I heard.

A long series of repeated phrases that sounded like bird calls. Each phrase
was repeated 2 or 3 times. The whole song lasted about 5 minutes. I heard
the song about 4 times in the hour I was there. I did not see the bird. It
was well hidden in underbrush (honeysuckle) or in a tree where I couldn't
see it.

I had heard this same kind of song a week ago at our crane count site (north
side of Lower Mud Lake). There I only heard it once. It was the same time
(around 6 AM).

I'd like to hear from anyone experienced with No Mocks to get a better idea
if that's what I am hearing.

Paul Jakoubek & Nancy Ahlquist
Dane County, Monona (not on the lake)