[wisb] Re: New Photo Quiz on WI eBird

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 20:00:14 -0700

Guesses submitted to the WI eBird Team for Photo Quiz #12 break down as
follows. Some of the explanations by those who guessed are below as well.
PUBLIC DISCUSSION here on Wisbirdn is welcome and encouraged.

Western Kingbird - 4
Couch's Kingbird - 3
Tropical Kingbird - 5
Tropical/Couch's Kingbird - 6
Northern Mockingbird - 1
Willow Flycatcher - 1

"Western Kingbird -- Dark undertail visible in the first image, and white
edging on outer tail feathers appears to be viewable as well. Interesting that
the uppertail color is less black than I would expect from the species (should
contrast with the gray back), and the back appears a bit too green... but white
edges to the tail, and overall 'gis' seem to rule out any other candidates."

"It looks like a Tropical/Couch's Kingbird to me. Note the large, long bill,
bright yellow coming well up the breast, green back, dark mask over eye, and
slightly notched tail. Also, there is no sign of white outer tail feathers,
although that is a secondary concern, as the size of the bill and bright
yellow on the breast effectively rule out Western Kingbird."

"Jumping to the conclusion it is a kingbird and has yellow I'll consider
Tropical, Couch's, Cassin's and Western. The bill is rather large so out goes
Western. Color is hard to go by. Consider the twig is black but shows up
anywhere from white to black in the picture. But having said that out goes
Cassins because of the lack of contrasting white malar. I'm thinking the upper
breast is either actually yellow or white but reflecting yellow. That leaves
Tropical and Couch's. Both of which are found occassionally out of range. It
has a distinctly notched tail and the third picture shows a straight bill. So
it is a Tropical. Also the back coloration contrast with the back and the
contrasting wing edges supports Tropical. However the second picture hints at a
curved culmen and the bill isn't that long which suggests a Couch's. If I was
in Texas I would say Couch's. If I were in Arizona I would say Tropical. Since
it's in Door County I will say Couch's."

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady