[wisb] New AOU checklist changes

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:09:01 -0500

The 52nd supplement of the AOU checklist is now out, and it looks like
relatively minor changes for WI this time around.

One change that many have been hoping for since the absurd name of “moorhen”was
first forced upon us back in 1982 is that our North Amer. species has now
been split off, and it will be once again called the Common GALLINULE.

Also affecting us (or at those of us who follow the taxonomic sequence) will
be a reordering of the warblers, with the first warblers on our WI list now
to be:

Ovenbird
Worm-eating Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
Northern Waterthrush

In addition, the genus name Dendroica (which many warblers had) will now
disappear, and be replaced by Setophaga – which has been the American
Redstart genus.  And, the Mourning, MacGillivray’s and Kentucky will now
move into the yellowthroat genus, leaving the Connecticut as the sole member
of Oporornis.

Our Snowy Plover has also been split off as a separate species.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.