[wisb] Nests Rare and Common plus a Flower ID quest

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:47:44 -0600

Add this to recent observations of Song Sparrow nesting in pines for
their second attempt.   Just outside the front of my house and family
room window Song Sparrows have nested this Spring.  The first was found
by Cowbirds in a Forsythia.  But the second nesting was so well-hidden
in the dense foliage of a six-foot Dwarf Alberta Spruce that it was not
until the cute little guys were ready to fledge and begging incessantly
with their distinct "Zeeing" call that I finally pinned them down.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2367028330104716876FANVci

The second is of a Black-backed Woodpecker nesting in Vilas Co.  Look
closely just above the adult males foot in the cavity hole.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2422747270104716876Ebiaaz
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2148818440104716876QExsRd

Lastly, I've seen this flower a few times up North but can not ID it.
Any takers?

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/573319273hMWmqC

Best of birding,

Joe Schaufenbuel
5676 Regent St.
Stevens Point
Portage County, WI 54481
(715) 345-2788

'Eureka!' (I found it) but 'That's funny...'"
--Isaac Asimov