[wisb] Nest predation domino effect

  • From: Mary Strasser <mrstrass@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 09:40:28 -0500

A nest failure "domino effect" was set in motion on our property earlier this
week when a raccoon raided a wren nest in a birdhouse mounted to a tree a few
yards into our woods.  The male wren attached to that nestbox started looking
elsewhere for housing, and he decided that the bluebird house in our small
backyard prairie fit the bill.  Unfortunately, that birdhouse was occupied by a
female bluebird sitting on a second clutch of eggs.  The hen bluebird and her
mate stayed pretty close to their nestbox until we had an all-day rain on Wed.
that forced them to leave the immediate area to find food.  That day off the
nest gave the male wren an opportunity to remove the bluebird eggs.  On
Thursday morning the male wren was singing on the roof of the bluebird house
and the bluebirds were nowhere in sight.  I opened the birdhouse yesterday,
after seeing 2 wrens going into it.  There were a few twigs placed atop the
empty bluebird nest and I found blue eggshells on the ground below.  The wren
couple is now actively building a nest inside the birdhouse.  Although I still
see the bluebird pair around our yard, they have relinquished ownership of the
birdhouse to the wrens.

Those who read my previous posts are aware that my bluebird couple had
previously fledged a brood of 5 from their exceptionally early spring nest,
despite the fact that there was a territorial male house sparrow in my yard
that had presented a threat to their safety.  While I am disappointed that the
bluebirds were unsuccessful in fledging a second brood,  I am happy to see that
their 5 offspring from their earlier nest are doing well finding food for
themselves.  I see the young bluebirds foraging in our yard, sometimes visiting
the feeder dish that I stock with suet bits and mealworms.

Life for a songbird is challenging.  It really is a jungle out there!

Mary Strasser in Onalaska

La Crosse County