[wisb] Re: Neotropic Cormorant

  • From: "Daryl & Sherry Christensen" <gr8fish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbird" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 19:47:30 -0500

Paul's sighting of a possible Neotropic Cormorant fly-over in Winnebago County
doesn't come as a surprise as I also saw what I thought was a Neotropic
Cormorant last year on Lake Winnebago. Unfortunately, I didn't get a real good
look at the bird other than it was quite smaller, more slender-looking and
longer-tailed  than the accompanying Double-crested Cormorants, so I didn't
report or record it. I at first thought it was just depth-perception, but then
cormorants pretty much fly in a straight line close to each other, so size
difference should be easily noted.  I hope that Paul keeps a keen eye out for
this bird. There is a good bet it will stay in the area. Cormorants are quite
easy to pattern as they fly the same routes to and from feeding and nesting
colonies.
Anyone in the Winnebago County area should be sure to scan the flocks of
cormorants they see. You never know when one of these birds will show up.
Daryl Christensen
Marquette co.

Daryl and/or Sherry Christensen
www.darylchristensen.com