[wisb] Re: Necedah National Wildlife Refuge [Juneau County]

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Sharon Swiggum <sgswiggum@xxxxxxx>, "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 00:57:34 -0500

I don't want to start an entire discussion on this, but:
Contrary to popular belief, Porcupines cannot "shoot" their quills.  The quills
are modified hairs that have barbed tips that prevent them from coming out
easily when "slapped" so to speak into a predator.  The quills fall out easily
and are left sticking in whatever predator is unwise enough to approach too
close.
The "shooting" their quills myth may have come from loose quills that
accidentally got knocked out when the Porcupine hit a predator with it's tail.
Getting stuck full of quills takes physical contact though. So now worries
about getting close. Just don't get too close.... lol

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)