[wisb] Re: NYT birding/photography story

  • From: "David A. Shealer" <David.Shealer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:13:56 -0600

I remember that Ross's Gull very well (life bird #323, 11 March 1990).  I was
living in Baltimore at the time working at the zoo when it showed up at a
sewage treatment plant--a rather inelegant venue for such an ethereal (and
highly-coveted) creature.  However, the folks at the treatment plant very
graciously received the hundreds (thousands?) of people who made the trek to
see this bird.  They even erected signs directing birders to the settling tanks
that the gull frequented and passed out pamphlets describing the process of
sewage treatment (which was very informative, but a little more than I needed
to know).

Dave Shealer
Loras College
Dubuque, IA