[wisb] Myrick Marsh Bird Walk - La Crosse & field trip reminders

  • From: "Dan Jackson" <DanJackson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WisBirdN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 09:43:08 -0500

This morning marked our 2nd Myrick Marsh Bird Walk of the season.

Things were a little slow this morning with relatively few Warblers and
other migrants and a little more wind than we would have liked.
However, it was a great morning and we still managed to see 56 species
in about 1 1/2 hours.  The highlights were:

Blackpoll Warbler (seen by a few at the start of the walk)
Black-crowned Night Heron (nice looks just as we started down the Rabbit
trail)
Prothonotary Warbler
Northern Waterthrush (great looks at a very cooperative individual)
Gold-winged Warbler (heard only)
Least Flycatcher
Great-crested Flycatchers (nice looks)
White-crowned Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Red-headed Woodpecker (Fly-by)
Virginia Rail (heard only)
Sora (heard only)
Black Terns (15)
Belted Kingfisher (diving for minnows)
Many Green Herons

On Thursday morning, Pat & Bobbi Wilson and I will lead the second Hixon
Forest Bird Walk of the year.  It will start at 6:30 am from the Hixon
Forest parking lot.  Next week will mark the last walks of the season
with a walk at Myrick on Tuesday Morning and a walk at the Hixon Forest
on Thursday morning.  Both walks will start at 6:30 am.

On Saturday morning, Craig Thompson and I will be leading bird walks at
the Trempealeau Refuge as part of their birding festival.  We will both
lead groups at 7:00 am and I will also lead another group at 9:00 am.

On Sunday morning, I will be leading a Coulee Region Audubon bird trip
to Wyalusing.  We will meet at 6:30 at the parking area at the entrance.
The field trip will go until about noon.  At that point, a few of us
will switch and go reptile "watching" with Matt Heeter.  For those
interested in car pooling, please e-mail me.

Good Birding,

Dan Jackson
Chaseburg, Vernon County, Wisconsin
(Near LaCrosse)
http://community.webshots.com/user/DanielEJackson

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.