[wisb] My BBS routes

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 18:50:27 -0500

Hurray.  I finished my last BBS route today.  Doing them on
consecutive days is challenging, but the weather forecast for the
next week sounds terrible!!!   Only in the 50s for the next several
days, although we certainly need the rain---again.
On Wed I ran the Oconto Falls count, which will be my last time with
it.  39 years is enough!  Any one interested in doing this next year
should contact Mark, the state coordinator.  It starts southwest of
Oconto Falls, runs west, eventually ending in Menominee county.  This
year I tallied 87 species.  The main news was the weather.  Stop one
the temp was 41, soon dropping to 37 for several stops.  It was
COLD!!!!!

On Thur I ran the Manawa count.  This count started a "little"
warmer---44 degrees, but quickly dropped to 40 and held there for
quite some time.  Ouch!  This count tallied 93 species, with
interesting sightings including an Olive-sided Flycatcher in a small
swamp.  It was perched on the wire as I got to the stop and continued
in the area for about 2 minutes.  Also interesting was a Black-thro
Green Warbler and Orchard Oriole, plus a family of Ravens and 2 pairs
of Red-br. Nuthatches.  The latter looked like they were on territory.

Today I did the Omro count.  This usually is the quietest of the
three counts and it proved so again this year.  Only 80 species were
tallied, with amazing numbers of pelicans and gulls, all flying by
the stops, especially between Omro and Winneconne.  What a difference
a few years makes.

Now to start catching up on yard work and etc.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI