[wisb] More Swifts, Oshkosh, +off topic report

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish50@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 09:07:17 -0700 (PDT)

  Just s brief note after coming in from outside.  Looking up just browsing
the sky my eyes happened upon some high flying southbound swallows which
appeared to be Trees, then followed by about a dozen chimney swifts.  I was
figuring their flight would've been pretty much over with.  Guess not.
I went to check my records just now, it appears I've had swift records in
October's
past, ie. 2004, '02, '99.  So I see their migration may not be done after all.
    Going off topic, a coworker friend of mine was startled last night as 'this
huge
bug buzzed me and landed on he ground in front of me'.  Curious I ran out to
find
what I thought was the beetle-type waterscorpion, but according to my insect
book
it was either an Eastern Toe-biter or a Giant Water-bug, which I believe was
the one,
since this beast was about 3" long.  Amazing creature. I put it in a bucket of
water and took
it to the creek at Abbey Park.
   Paul Bruce, Winnebago Co.