[wisb] Milwaukee scoters

  • From: "Seegert, Greg" <gseegert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 19:33:34 -0400

Wisbirders
On my way back to IL today,  I stopped in Milwaukee for the scoters that have
been there for about a week.  There were about 30 scoters just S of the Pt at
the N end of Bradford Beach.  They were divided into 2 flocks of equal size,
surf scoters closer to shore and blacks a little bit further offshore.

The sage thrasher Mark K mentioned was seen yet late today on Montrose Pt.  I
may try for it tomorrow.

On an unrelated note, I spent most of yesterday collecting black-eyed Susan
stalks to harvest the larvae for ice fishing bait.  Does anyone know what these
larvae turn into (I'm guessing a beetle)?   A common or scientific name for
this critter would be greatly appreciated.  I can't find anything useful about
it on the web.

Greg Seegert
Deerfield, IL