[wisb] Re: Milwaukee Lakefront Bobolinks

  • From: "Judith Huf" <judith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <maxpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 17:03:00 -0500

Todd,

Thanks for your report.  I was out running errands and made a quick stop at
Veteran's Park.  It took me a bit to find your Bobolinks because they were
out searching for food on the big lawn.  I learned something important
today.  If I hadn't been looking for Bobolinks, I would have ignored those
distant blackbirds on the grass as just Redwings and Cowbirds.  Now I know
how important it is to pay attention.  I counted 10 males and 4 females,
although I may have missed some females as they blended in better with the
golden dandelions.  A man walking a dog flushed the flock, which flew into a
tree where they began to sing the way you described.  It was a real treat.

There were also a nice little group of warblers in the bushes near the pond.

Thanks again for alerting me to the Bobolinks and for helping me learn a
valuable lesson in birding.

Judith Huf
Milwaukee