[wisb] Re: Milwaukee Lakefront, 9/20/11 - Sora on LSP prairie, Coot, old American Elm, weird red water

  • From: "Joan Spector" <joanspector@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>, "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 19:18:22 -0500

I wonder if that was the sora rail that was pecking around in my backyard on
Sunday? We have a typical postage stamp Shorewood backyard, altho surrounded
by good vegetation, and there was a sora strolling around the grass (no
water anywhere nearby) - definitely a first for us, but we have also seen
species like woodcock, grebe, and bittern straying into the neighborhood
through the years.  And speaking of unexpected Shorewood encounters, I saw
an adult red-headed woodpecker on a tree on Woodburn Street, 4200 block,
last month-- and I thought rhwp's had disappeared from our streets years
ago.
Joan Spector
Shorewood  - Milwaukee County