[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 4/8/12 - Sandhills, WW Scoters, and some photos

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 12:21:17 -0700 (PDT)

Took a nice walk along the southern part of my Milwaukee BIGBY route yesterday.
Nice sunny day! I keep meaning to turn my attention to Lake Park in hopes of
seeing spring songbird migrants, but the southern lakeshore still has
interesting birds:

* Sandhill Cranes. One flock of 20 birds flying in a V to the north high above
the Milwaukee Art Museum. A second flock of about 15 birds flying to the north
above Lakeshore State Park. In both cases I heard just a call or two above the
city noises that made me look up. If I wasn't so familiar with their bugling
calls from my years in Indiana I wouldn't have known they were there. No one
else seemed to notice. One of my favorite bird sounds!!

* There were still Blue-winged Teals, Scaups, and Red-breasted Mergansers
hanging out in Milwaukee Harbor and Lakeshore State Park. Also, four Ruddy
Ducks and three Pied-billed Grebes in Veterans Park lagoon (first Ruddies I've
ever seen there).

* About 20 White-winged Scoters behind the Art Museum. Maybe the most I have
seen of this species at one time. Here's a photo of one bolting down a clump of
Quagga Mussels. The Scoters' gullets and gizzards must be mighty tough to
handle the sharp edged mussel shells:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6912467394/in/photostream

* Some Ruddy Ducks next to the Harbor House Restaurant:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6912470000/in/photostream

* This Tree Swallow is hunkering down in a stiff wind on top of its home (a
wooden nest box in Milwaukee's Lakeshore State Park):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6912467584/in/photostream

* Wondering what species of butterfly this is feeding on a Dandelion:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/7058549047/in/photostream

* Can anyone help me ID this moth on a shady sidewalk next to the Harbor House
restaurant? It was maybe 3/4 of an inch long:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/7058546417/in/photostream

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee