[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 3/8/11 - Bill Mueller, Ruddy Ducks

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 17:29:45 -0800 (PST)

I haven't been birding for a few days due to the flu, so it was nice to get out
in the relative warmth and hazy sunshine. :-)

* The highlight of my visit to Lakeshore State Park was getting to meet Bill
Mueller face-to-face. I was walking down the park sidewalk, still a little
spaced out with flu side-effects. Someone passed me and then turned around and
said "Are you Bernie?" We had a nice conversation. Always nice to match a face
to a name.

* There were a couple of Ruddy Ducks out in the harbor. Not a new 2011 BIGBY
species, but lately it's been good to see ducks beyond the usual Scaups,
Goldeneyes and Mallards. Interesting thing about Ruddys. I got my first Ruddy
Duck lifer bird just ten months ago. Smack dab in the middle of the desert
(Henderson, NV water treatment plant).

* The white domestic Mallard is still hanging around behind the art museum
(see: http://bit.ly/ffjQGW). Except now I'm not so sure it's a female. First
time I saw this bird I swear I saw it quack, and with wild Mallards only the
females quack (according to BNA Online). But today this duck seemed to be
behaving like a male. It seemed to be escorting a female, and it became
aggressive towards a male Mallard when it drew near. See this photo to get a
sense of the dynamics among this trio: http://bit.ly/hNGH72

* Today I got a good view of the shifting currents under the Lakeshore State
Park footbridge. When I first entered the park there were ice floes moving in a
northerly direction at several miles an hour...very obvious movement. When I
left the park the ice floes were moving in a southerly direction at several
miles an hour. Interesting!

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee