[wisb] Milw County - Ruddy Turnstones

  • From: Petherick Chris <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Wisconsin Bird List <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 08:22:50 -0500

Good morning,

There were 2 Ruddy Turnstones at Doctor's Park in northern Milwaukee
County at 7:15am.  They were on the third concrete pier south of the
Schlitz Audubon property.  I had a good 10 minute look at them
(luckily, because I had no idea what they were at first - life bird
for me).  That was a good start to the morning.  There were probably
75 to 100 gulls and terns on the beach as well.  I located 1 Glaucous
Gull among the Caspians, Herring and Ring Billed, but there were a
couple other "suspicious looking" gulls in there as well, I just
couldn't ID them.  In the trees above the bluff there were large
numbers of Redstarts and flycatchers.  the other warblers spotted or
heard included Magnolia, Yellow Rumped, Black Throated Green and
Wilson's.  I also heard a call that sounded very similar to a Black
Throated Green but it was a very nasally call, much different from the
more melodic (if that's the right word for describing it) call
normally heard.  It really stuck out like a bad note in a song.  Would
that be a different bird trying to mimic the call or just a poorly
singing warbler, any ideas?

The Ruddy Turnstones, as I mentioned, were seen at 7:15 am.  When I
walked back at 7:40 am they had disappeared from the pier.  I didn't
check anywhere else for them.

Chris Petherick
Fox Point, Northeastern Milwaukee County

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.