[wisb] Migration in SW Monroe County

  • From: Lennie Lichter <lennieandmaria@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 19:44:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks.
Today was the best migration day this year for our Wilderness Retreat.  A total
of 15 warbler species included First of the Year Wilson's Warbler, Yellow
Warbler and Canada Warbler as well as a Connecticut Warbler that was heard but
not seen as he sang from the same honeysuckle tangle that I saw one in a couple
of years ago.  This brings the warbler total for the year to 23 species, though
there were never very many of any of them.

Other FOY birds included a flyover Double-crested Cormorant (the third time
ever, and not as high up as the other times) and a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher.
The migrant thrushes are still around except for the Hermit Thrush and the
Red-eyed Vireos moved in big time overnight.  I expect the Acadian Flycatchers
to show up any day now.

The Sandhill Cranes are still calling over the yard with the two pairs (or
more?) visiting each other at the neighborhood nesting and feeding areas.  They
make kind of a dogleg that follows the lowest elevation from one area to the
other.  Question:  Why is it termed a Unison Call?  Wouldn't Alternate Call be
a more accurate description since the phrases alternate?

And last but not least, a FOY Eastern Gray Treefrog was heard singing at
various times today.

Lennie Lichter
Monroe County